Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Build Me Up, Buttercup.

Last Friday I took a deep breath, loaded up the kids, and went out to run some errands. I usually hold out until Mom or a sitter is able to hang out with the little Indians, but I decided I would muster up some courage and lots of patience and bring them with me this time. I was exceptionally tired from the night before (we went out for a FUN dinner with some friends), so I knew my tolerance would wear thin quickly. Regardless, into the car we piled.

As we stopped at various places, the kids were themselves...laughing, a tad bit rambunctious...in need of a stern "talking-to" and "glaring-at" on occasion, but overall well-behaved. At each of our 3 destinations someone approached me about my children. The sweet lady at the Homestead Craft Store told me how she can't remember seeing such polite, happy children in a long time, and "how nice to see kids out of strollers and walking so nicely behind their mommy." A lady approached me in the Hobby Lobby parking lot soon after and said, "I noticed how respectfully you speak to you children...acknowledging everything they say. It's so nice to see that in this day and age." And later, at Taco Cabana, a mom with an infant said to me, "I hope that when I have more children I will be able to take them out by myself and have them behave as your kids did."

Now, I write none of this to brag. There are instances (as there were that day while we were out) when I lose my cool, act impulsively, and discipline in a not-so-pleasant manner. I write all of this because those compliments that day gave me a much needed confidence-booster...perfect strangers giving me a pat on the back in the area of motherhood...something that ALL MOTHERS NEED WHETHER THEY ADMIT IT OR NOT! As moms we tend to criticize each other and judge other's decisions. What we need to do more often is build one another up. As moms we belong to one of the coolest clubs in the universe. Why rag on one of our fellow club members when they are probably doing the best they know how and could really use an "atta girl" every now and then? I'm going to try and do that more often--both to my friends and perfect strangers. Who knows? That compliment you give could send that person floating on cloud 9 the rest of the day just like it did me. And, those strangers will never know it.

2 comments:

Melody A. said...

You are right. It really does help. And outa the blue "thank you" cards do it as well. ;-)

Dawn said...

I still cant believe that you have 3 kids much less that you can take them out in public by yourself. You amaze me. But you are so right about strangers helping. I still remember the time Jackson had a huge meltdown in front of the return area at Target and a lady walked by, made eye contact and told me, "it gets better." That moment of connection really helped.