Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Firsts

So many times in our lives the momentous occasions are those that happened for the first time.  I remember clearly my first overnight away from home (it was a 2-week Girl Scout camp when I was 10).  I remember my first kiss....my first real heartbreak...the first time I drove a car alone...my first job...and so on and so on and so on.  Those firsts are forever imprinted in my brain and in my heart...and God has undoubtedly used them to shape me into the person I am today.

Yesterday commemorated another first.  It was the first time my children experienced their first day of school as a 1st/3rd/4th grader.  The night before there was some significant nervousness and reluctance in returning back to school, and those feelings lingered as I walked them to their respective classrooms yesterday.  By the grace of God, however, they each reported to me that the first day of school "rocked." 



The firsts that the 3 little Indians experienced yesterday did not go unnoticed by me.  As I sent them off to begin a new school year I was reminded that if we live an adult life that honors God, we should experience many firsts just like our children as we travel on our faith journey.  These firsts are imperative if we are to grow.

I experienced my own first this past weekend...putting myself out there in a way that made me feel uncomfortable, uncertain, and downright sick to my stomach.  It was a task necessary for me to accomplish in relation to my new church calling...but it was definitely NOT something I was looking forward to.  Just hours before it began I prayed to God to fill me with peace during this event.  He did exactly that.  God removed my fears and anxieties, and the gathering of believers proved to be more powerful than I could have ever anticipated.  The Holy Spirit showed up.  In a big way.  And it was amazing.

I recently read a wonderful book about teaching and learning.  This book uses the analogy that we are like rubber bands.  When a rubber band is stretched, it never fully returns to its original shape.  That rubber band is never the same.  The same goes for us.  Once we learn or do something for the first time...especially if it glorifies God... we are never the same.  We are forever changed.

And, that's exactly what a life of faith is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you posting again!