Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Reflections


I took this picture the other night...captivated by the reflection of the tree in the window.  I loved the imagery...especially since I've been so reflective lately.

This time of year can be so magical.  The children's excitement and wonder are contagious.  The decorations and lights remind us of this special month.  The reason for the season can inspire us to grow closer with God and journey further into relationship with Him.  But for some, this time of year can be hard.  Really hard. 

The last few days my mind has been filled with thoughts and prayers for friends who, during this holiday season, are struggling in relationships, praying loved ones through surgeries and illnesses, and mourning the loss of loved ones or the loss of relationships that once brought them joy.

And, if all of that isn't enough,  a tragedy occurred yesterday...something so incredibly sad that caused me to pause in the middle of my crazy, running-out-of-control day to hug my children a little tighter and to tell my husband just how much I love him and appreciate him.

The tragedy didn't affect our family directly.  But it was someone Animesh and I both knew.  And the story that surrounds this situation is heart-breaking.  Out of respect for this family I won't share details.  Let's just say that it is so very, very sad.

I write all of this not to be a "debbie-downer" at Christmastime but out of my belief that we experience difficulties and tragedies occur for reasons we may or may not understand on earth.  Personally, I believe that God has opened my eyes to these situations in order that I may cling to Him more tightly and worship Him more as I stand firm in my belief that He is the One True God who reigns over all the earth....even during difficult times.

Emmanuel.  God is with us.  No matter what.

And THAT is a Christmas message to be joyful about.

No comments: