Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Simple Pleasures

The beginning of Spring seemed like the perfect time to re-connect with my chosen "word of the year".....simplicity. After Buddy's passing I chose to re-evaluate (for the millionth time) what really is important in life.

It always comes back to the simple stuff.

Like knitting. I never believed in a hundred years that knitting would bring me such peace. Even when Nicole showed me an article which had proved this point I was pretty skeptical. Now I get it. Even better is when someone you love with your whole heart adores what you've created for her.




It's the simple stuff that really does bring me joy.

Like enjoying pretty potted plants that signal new growth and warmer temps.






And celebrating upcoming Fiesta. Man, I love Fiesta. NIOSA, anyone????



And celebrating the return of our renters. This is year #5 that they've been vacationing here for the warmer months. We'll never knock down their home. Those birds are like family now. Even if they do try to dive-bomb at our heads when we walk out the front door.





And hearing my two independent readers sharing with one another a funny excerpt from the books they are reading.





And shooting hoops with my almost-kindergartner.



He was hilarious yesterday....making up his own rules, calling me "Tony Parker" (from the San Antonio Spurs), and calling time-outs for refreshment breaks.



When Trevor told me to do a hustle I was momentarily confused. Until I realized he meant for us to do a huddle. I nearly wet my pants from laughing so hard.

And, ya gotta love a basketball star who stops abruptly in the middle of a game because he spotted a flower to pick for his mommy




Yes, it's those simple things that we are all savoring this Spring as we continue to mourn the loss of our Yorkie. Like spending time with family.

And girlfriends. I have that on the agenda for today and Friday evening. Cannot wait.

Hope you make time to enjoy some simple pleasures today.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Don't you love raising kids who love to read? I love sharing books with Isabel, and yesterday I took Elijah to see Diary of a Wimpy Kid (saw the book in your photo)...it was hilarious. We repeated the funny lines all the way home. Since Elijah is going to middle school next year, this flick was perfect for him.

So glad to hear you are all coping with your loss. Losing a pet is so difficult; spending time with your beautiful babies can't help but cheer you up, and I'm sure they cherish their mommy-time!

Have fun with your girls today!

Moon Mommy said...

That scarf is fabulous. I am so glad you've discovered the "it" with knitting. I was worried that everyone was feeling more stress than peace, which was NOT the goal. Your new found knitting love brings me joy.
Way to go with keeping your focus on the simple stuff. We'll always have hectic schedules and crazy lives, but the stuff you wrote about makes it all a little easier to get through. xo

Brené said...

Love the scarf, and the pics, and the posts. I'm always so happy when I stop by to catch up!

So sorry to hear about Buddy.

xo, BB