Friday, April 17, 2009

Wonderful Weekend

Thursday came and went and was pretty much still icky altogether. I worked my tail off putting the kids' rooms back together after the wood floors were installed. And, then Thursday night I emptied out the living/dining area/our bedroom so the workers (who sing badly) could get started in those rooms. By 11:55pm on Thursday I was whipped.

But, then Friday happened. And, Friday means the beginning of the weekend.

Normally I'm not much for the weekends. I love church on Sunday, but everything else about the weekend kind of throws me for a loop. I like the schedules and routines during the week. They bring me comfort...always knowing what we're doing, what we're having for dinner, where we'll be heading.

The weekends are different. I often slack on the menu planning--leaving me feeling slightly panicked when 4pm rolls around since I have no idea what we're eating for dinner. Sometimes we're just as busy on the weekends as we are on the weekdays. But, if we're out and about on weekends, there's more traffic to deal with during the day.

This weekend, however, was wonderful. Animesh had a meeting out at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort in San Antonio. We've been there many, many times before--mostly during the summer--but since Animesh had this great big FREE suite, we thought we'd join him.

It was too chilly to swim. And too rainy to visit Sea World (located across the highway from the hotel). So, we chilled and found other things to do. If I'd remembered my camera, I could show you the fun we had. Instead, I'll tell you about our fun trip to the book store with a surprise visit from Cat in the Hat, our mini shopping spree for Priya, our viewing of the new Hanna Montana movie, our fun dinner party (kids in one room with camp counselors and 200 adults in another room enjoying adult beverages and adult conversation), and our yummy lunch on Sunday celebrating my dad's birthday. The weather was warm and sunny. The kids' behavior was stellar. And, while I was tired, I enjoyed the weekend immensely.

The singing dudes finished up the wood floors today. I'll spend the evening putting the house back together and getting back in the Word. It's been awhile and I'm missing it.

Priya and I had a rough day today...a privilege was taken away from her for an inexcusable behavior. She cried last night and this morning. I nearly cried. She sulked all day at school...causing her teacher to talk to me when I picked Priya up. After consulting with other mom friends I'm confident I did the right thing. I told Priya I love her so much that I have to discipline her when she makes bad choices (she stared at me like I was an alien when I said that). But, what I didn't expect was how much it hurt me. Almost as much as it hurt her. Sigh. No one ever said parenting was easy. In fact, don't you think it gets more complicated the older our children become?

On a random note, I cannot get this song on the playlist out of my head. The Easter Bunny brought Priya the soundtrack to Hannah Montana: The Movie, and we've listened to it non-stop. Even I know all the words. It helped when we saw the movie this weekend...but now I want to learn how to do the Hoedown Throwdown.

Who knows? Maybe I will.

8 comments:

HipMomma said...

Sweet sweet Priya? I'm surprised. But she is sweet because of all you've already taught her, don't bow out now. She'll thank you one day.

And I personally can't stand the song. :-p Just can't get into it. But the girls now all the words.

Yvette said...

You have beautiful, sweet, well behaved kids so you must be doing it right! Like they say, once you say it you have to stick to it so you did the right thing! Yes it gets complicated and scarry and I think allowing more independence has been the hardest part for me!
Oh and I haven't heard the song - lucky me!

mama's smitten said...

Sounds like your doing the right thing MOM! We love the Hoe Down too! I taught to all the 1St grade girls and they will be trying out for the talent show tomorrow! This age is so Fun!

MamaMia said...

That's what we tell our girls--the reason we discipline you is because we love you. But you're right, it is so hard see your sweeties upset.

And yes, parenting gets more complicated as they get older. Maybe it's because it no longer involves just your child. You have to deal with friends' influences on your child's behavior.

Hope you have another good weekend.

HiHoOhio said...

Still know you did the right thing my dear friend.
And if you learn the Hoedown Throwdown, teach me....so tired of that song and we do not have the soundtrack!

Quirky Mess said...

You know you did the right thing. Sometimes it's doing the right thing that's the hardest. If is was easy we'd all do the right thing all the time!!

You are a WONDERFUL mom, my dear. The mere fact that this has been so hard on you is proof.

Heather said...

The fact that you're upset just shows what a wonderful mother you really are.

Discipline sucks sometimes, but the end results will (hopefully) be worth it. We all know the grown-ups who were clearly never disciplined as kids; I know I don't want my kids to turn into those people...

Glad to hear you had such a fun weekend! Sad that you forgot the camera; I love to see your photos!

sojourner said...

so glad you out of icky! i wonder, exactly what did Miss Priya do that caused such turmoil?
Love,
icyvette