Monday, August 18, 2008

Catching Some ZZZZZ's

It was, in my opinion, the perfect weekend.

No birthday parties. No committments.
No schedules to follow. No place to be.

Well, there was that little thing called the Dam '09 Triathlon I did
Saturday morning with my tri buddy, Jeanne.
But, that was over by 10am.

Afterwards I came home to an empty house
(Animesh had taken the kids GROCERY SHOPPING!).
I showered and curled up on the bed.

Where I fell promptly asleep. Fast asleep.
We're talkin' a very deep sleep.

It was heavenly.
I slept for nearly 2 hours.
Everyone arrived home later
and I awoke to the sound of my children laughing hysterically.
Never
has there been a better noise to awaken to.
Never.

My in-laws arrived late Saturday afternoon.
At first I was a little sad about having them here.
For the last week before school started.
I kinda wanted the kids to myself for the last week of summer.

But, the joy and sheer happiness on my kids' faces
changed my attitude about that.
The kids adore their grandparents.
And, my in-laws adore the kids.
My in-laws can play with the children for hours. And hours.
AND my MIL will do the dishes and cook the best Indian food EVER.
And fold laundry that has been sitting in a basket for 5 days.

Yes, I have it pretty good in the in-law department.

Yesterday after church I napped again...
knowing that the kids were in great hands...
playing make-believe with their grandparents
and enjoying them fully
without Mommy interrupting their bonding.

After my nap I laid in my warm, soft bed for awhile...
pondering my existence and all its complexities.
I came to the realization that I have been depriving myself
of something so basic...something so simple...for so long...
I hadn't made it a priority in my chaotic life.

I had been depriving myself of rest.

Which is so ironic given the fact that I am a nazi
when it comes to my kids' early bedtimes.

So, here's to the last week before the school year begins.
Here's to rest, layin' low, and enjoying family.
And, here's to the much needed rain we're gettin'
in this neck of the woods.

Here's to the end of summer.


5 comments:

Shalet said...

Good for you resting Mama! And good for you triathlon Mama! Go, go! Rest, rest!

Heather said...

Jeez, I'm so glad you're back; we've missed you!

I am having so much fun getting to know Catherine. What an awesome girl!

Enjoy your last week...when do your kids go back? Mine start Friday, and Gabe starts preschool on Sep 2nd...a little sad, but mostly glad, I have to say. We all need a break, and some routine, and less sun and chlorine.

Congrats on the race! No wonder you needed two naps!

THE Stephanie said...

Oh very true! I find it so hard to rest... I'm always thinking of everything that needs to be done.

I think you've inspired me to do NOTHING tonight!! Thanks!!!

HiHoOhio said...

Rest! Ah! Love that idea!
Girls started today, all is well. It was a quiet day and I loved it.
Your blog does make me miss my MIL. Can't believe it will be 7 years without her in November. Count your blessings. Hugs!

Dancing Queen said...

definitely YEAH RAIN!!!!