Sunday, February 17, 2008

Uncommonly Unique

This was the title of my Mac Lucado devotional this morning. Completely cool...since today is my birthday. Praise God that I was "sculpted from nothing into something" (Ps. 139:15 MSG) 38 years ago today.



This picture was taken at about a year of age...I haven't changed much, have I? Smile. I was born on February 17, 1970 at 11:17am. For years I carried around the notion that 7 was my lucky number. I wasn't sure how that was going to play out, but whenever anyone would ask what my lucky number was, well, I sure had an answer. Of course, in my teenage years, I thought I had an answer for everything!

Now, I don't have so many answers. Of course I'm older and wiser concerning some things, but there are still situations that occur in my life that I simply do not understand. But, ya know what the great thing is? I don't have to. Because God gets it, and he's in the driver's seat. I just need to trust Him.

Sometimes, though, that is REALLY hard to do.

So, I take comfort in the fact that God made me--and ALL OF US-- in a unique and wonderful way. Complete with flaws, insecurities, quirks, and gifts. I love what Max Lucado wrote in this morning's devotional:

"Don't dull your life by missing this point: You are more than statistical chance, more than a marriage of heredity and society, more than a confluence of inherited chromosomes and childhood trauma. More than a walking weather vane whipped about by the cold winds of fate."

No matter what we feel about ourselves--good or bad--, we must remember who made us. Suddenly, I don't feel so down on myself when I recall who my Creator is. I mean, I don't wanna be the one to diss God's handiwork!!!

While I already have a beautiful family, my health, my friends, and numerous other blessings to celebrate as I begin my new year of life on this earth...I can be extra joyful celebrating my uncommon uniqueness in the eyes of the One who made me.

And, an extra large piece of cake won't hurt, either.

8 comments:

sojourner said...

Happy Birthday Beloved Daughter of the Most High God!

Shalet said...

Well - Happy Birthday to you! I was born on 7-1-71 and weighed 7.1 pounds. I too think there is something special about the number 7. Has it done anything for me? No, not really, no lottery winnings, no bingo allotments. But I still like that number. And now, guilted by your previous post, the overweight dog and I are going to hit the trail for some much needed exercise. Enjoy your cake!

Anonymous said...

have a great bday, jenny!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to one of my favorite friends in the world!! I wish you many many more and SO glad you're right behind me in the age category now!! I wish you a beautiful day of happiness...you picked a WONDERFUL day for a birthday...I'll give you a bday hug when I see you this week!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you got that extra large piece of cake. Happy Birthday! I hope you've had a great weekend of celebrations.

Mendy said...

Happy Birthday! So well said, cheers to a year of many more blessings!
Mendy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Sista! I hope you had a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

I always love your posts. You're so inspiring, and real. And what a beautiful devotional. Makes me wish I were better about doing them in the mornings.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the lady with the most contagious smile. You spread sunshine everywhere you go. xo