Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bye-Bye, Birdie

The day we returned home from Dallas we had unexpected company. I opened up the back door, forgetting that the once uninhabited bird's nest above the door now had a couple of tenants. Unbeknownst to me, one of the birds zoomed inside our house. I heard Trevor yell from the play room, "Birdie inside!" Animesh and I stared in disbelief as the little bird fluttered and sputtered inside Trevor's bedroom. Initially all I could think of was how I learned in nursing school that birds are one of the dirtiest creatures around. Then I relaxed and started laughing hysterically when Animesh tried to gently guide the bird outside--while chasing it around the house with a broom.

The bird's first stop? The play room where she perched on one of the paper star lanterns.

Then she flew into the kitchen and landed on top of our cabinets.

By far the favorite landing spot for all of us was when she perched herself on top of the star on the Christmas tree.

She ended up here...sitting on our front door ledge which was swung WIDE OPEN to reveal the great outdoors. She didn't even realize how close she was to freedom, poor thing. After about 5 minutes she flew right out the door and, hopefully, back to her family.

Is there any old wives tale mentioning what it means if a bird flies into your house? Like I'm going to win the lottery? I'll have to google that and see. I'll let you know what I find. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect title. LOL Love the photos, especially the one atop the Christmas tree. She's a pretty little bird too. :)

Anonymous said...

While I was busy being still and watching birds outside, one was paying you a house call. How special is that!