Sunday, September 16, 2007

Roadrunner

About 3 1/2 weeks ago when I CASUALLY mentioned to my friend, Jeanne, that I wanted to do a triathlon next summer, she asked if I would join her in a triathlon relay. I hesitantly agreed to do the 5K run (her least favorite event). I quickly shopped for a good pair of shoes and began training. Did I mention that I haven't run in 8 years?

Today was race day, and I awoke at 5am (after not sleeping much due to intense nerves) to watch Jeanne do the 400 meter swim & the 15 mile bike ride before I did my thing. It was amazing to watch the transitions and how everyone moves from one event to the next...and I also realized that we could easily go BROKE investing in all of the GEAR needed just for the cycling!

Jeanne is awesome...a wealth of information for this first-time triathlete and so much fun to hang with.

The swim pics didn't turn out so hot, but here she is--coming around the mountain.

This is me chugging along towards the finish line after conquering the mountainous hills at UTSA (okay, maybe MOUNTAINOUS isn't the right word, but they sure felt like it). I can honestly say at this point I was about to keel over from heat exhaustion.

The blurriness of this picture has NOTHING to do with Jeanne's photography...it's because I was running SO FAST when she took the picture. :)

Crossing the finish line. It seemed like I ran for 2 hours, but I actually finished 10 minutes ahead of my usual time. Maybe my IPOD slows me down.

Jeanne and I were thrilled not to have drowned, crashed, or twisted an ankle during our respective events. We are the champions, my friends!

Our race numbers were written (in permanent marker) on our arms and thighs...

...while our AGES were displayed on our calves for the world to see. It was amazing to see those out there 45 and older. What inspirations they are.

Before she headed back to Austin, "Aunt" Jeanne joined in some playtime. The kids absolutely adore her.


Thank you, Jeanne, for inviting me to do this and for being such a great supporter, encourager, & friend. You rock, sister, and I love ya.

3 comments:

Melody A. said...

WOW!!! I was hoping you had the pics up already. I think I would be crashed on the couch for the rest of the day.

Great job!! And 10 minutes ahead of your regular time?! That's a lot. It almost makes me want to run right now. Almost. Maybe later. But definitely tomorrow.

I'm proud of you.

Dawn said...

Yippee for Jenny. Isnt it a great feeling to finish? There is just about nothing better. You know why they put your numbers on your limbs..right? It is because triathalons are so difficult, you might become dis-membed and they need to know which parts belong to who. At least that is what I believe. I'm excited, I think we are about to see an athelete transform right before our eyes. I am very proud of you. You are now changed.

Anonymous said...

You rock girl!!! Keep up the great work. When you start biking I'm going to call you Ms. Armstrong, as in Lance, ok?