Monday, August 13, 2007

MommyMobile Maintenance





I do not enjoy anything having to do with car maintenance. Oil change? Ugh. Tires rotated? Double ugh. I realize these things are very important, but I'd rather not be at a car dealer reading years-old magazines & offered thick, syrupy coffee that has been sitting in the pot since O-dark-thirty. So, when I realized I was 12 days overdue in getting the truck inspected, a large pit in my stomach developed. Worse, if it was something I was going to accomplish today, the little Indians were going to have to come with me.

Then I remembered I could go to the dealer, Ancira GMC, in Boerne. I knew this would not be a lengthy visit, but I also knew my precious offspring would not sit still in a chair watching the token T.V. show of the moment in the lobby (today's special: The Price is Right) while we waited for the inspection to be completed. The Ancira dealer has that small-town, friendly hospitality that I am growing to love here in Boerne...Shawn greeted me by name with a smile and said he would make this as speedy as possible (either for my benefit or to protect his lobby from any demolishing my kids might do if made to wait too long). Who cares what the reasons are? My little Indians amused themselves with Legos & Skittles (yes, I bribe with candy when necessary), and we were outta there in no time flat.

After a delicious, relatively quiet lunch we traveled home with my shiny new inspection sticker reflecting in the sunlight. Yes, a mundane task was accomplished, but even better was the "Thanks for the lunch, Mom" and the "That was fun going to the car place" remarks I received when we pulled into the garage. And, even though it is mildly exhausting dragging the kids to run errands like that, I hope in the long run they will benefit from being exposed to ALL kinds of things in life...not just the fun stuff. But, as is the beauty with children, to them--this WAS fun. Which reminded me to slow down and enjoy every minute I spend with my children...even in a car dealership lobby chasing the roaches and eating Skittles. At least it wasn't the other way around.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Your blog is looking more and more professional each time I see it! Wow. How about Friday for some more swimming. We've got a dentist appt that afternoon but maybe we could get together a little earlier if you are up for it and so are the kids. We can come out to you again or you guys can come here. let me know