Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I give my husband a hard time. Poor guy...he really deserves a prize for putting up with me and my "comments." Always well-meaning, sometimes snyde, always honest (but maybe that's not a GOOD thing). The longest running digs I've dished out relate to him "moving me out to the country." No, he did not bribe me and no, there were no huge fights about it. Truthfully, I blame my hormones for allowing me to agree to the move to Boerne. We had outgrown our house in San Antonio, baby #2 was on the way, and on Valentine's Day, 2002, we were the proud owner of 4 1/2 acres in the middle of nowhere. Whoopee.

What was I thinking? I lived exactly 5 minutes from EVERYTHING in San Antonio. Now, it's 10 miles to a grocery store. I have critters I didn't even know existed taking up residence in my home. I tell the kids to "watch for the deer poop" in our driveway when they're playing. One day the pest control guy rang the doorbell and asked me calmly and politely, "Would you like me to take care of that BAT over there on your front porch?" EEK!

The house-building process was a blur...I selected doorknobs and paint colors after sleepless nights with a newborn. Meetings with decorators were interrupted by poop blow-outs necessitating a trip to the car for a wardrobe change (for both of us). Never mind whipping out my boob to feed my starving child while watching my 18-month (Priya) old try to swing like a monkey from light fixtures in the lighting store. It's a wonder I don't have fuschia walls and lime green carpet in the house.

It's been 3 1/2 years, and I'm finally settling in. Yes, it has taken me that long. But, whenever I take the time to stop and take in my surroundings, I thank God for blessing us with the opportunity to experience living in such a peaceful place. The stars really are brighter at night, the sun truly shines more gloriously during the day, and the silence that surrounds our little corner of the world is a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle we experience on a daily basis. Don't tell Animesh, but I'm sorta glad we moved here! : )

I never tire of this view on the road home everyday...it's true what they sing..."The stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap) deep in the heart of Texas."

I stood on my back porch this morning and shot this amazing view. Yes, this is the sight I behold almost EVERY SINGLE DAY. Even when it rains (which has been a lot this summer), the view is still astonishingly breathtaking.

One of the most beautiful sunsets God has shown us in the last 3 years...the colors are even more vibrant in person.

1 comment:

Melody A. said...

Very pretty sunset!!

It rained yesterday, the day you gave us the rain gear, at about 6:00. It was a good rain, too. We even got a rainbow.